7 February 2008

WWI: Experiences of an English Soldier

The grandson of the said English soldier had the brilliant idea of posting his -the soldier's- letters to his family exactly 90 years after they were written, in the following blog:

WWI: Experiences of an English Soldier

They are authentic letters, written by an ordinary person, just like anyone else, in extraordinary circumstances; in a simple and compelling manner, they give a personal and first-hand testimony of those hard times. There are a few spelling and punctuation errors, but personally –and picky as I am myself– I find that what they do is just bring a human being a little closer and make past things more real and vivid.

My History teacher said these letters are like a tunnel of time. It was him who showed me the link, saying I would probably like it. I did - I hope you enjoy it too!

No comments: